Nov 10, 2018
ANGOLA, Ind. – Freshman Owen Miller won the 285-pound title to help the Olivet College wrestling team finish in second-place of 14 schools at the 2018 Trine University Invitational today at Hershey Hall in Angola, Indiana.
- Overall, the Comets had 12 wrestlers finish in the top six to total 127 points.
- North Central (Ill.) College won the team title with 149.5 points.
- Miller had a 4-0 record to win the 285-pound bracket. After receiving a bye in the first round, he had back-to-back falls in 53 seconds and 2:56. Miller then won an 8-2 decision before posting an 11-3 major decision victory over Cameron Sauerwein from Mount St. Joseph (Ohio) University in the championship match.
- Freshman Peter Deaton placed second in the 133-pound bracket. He won by fall in the first round before winning 6-0 and 5-2 decisions. Deaton lost the championship match, 11-4.
- Junior Cole Hersch took second in the 157-pound bracket. He had a 17-2 technical fall victory in his first match, pinned his opponent in the first period in the quarterfinals and won a 9-3 decision in the semifinals. Hersch was edged 4-3 in the championship match.
- Senior Tyler Grimsley finished third in the 165-pound bracket. He pinned his first-round opponent and won a 15-3 major decision before losing 3-2 in the semifinals. Grimsley bounced back to win the third-place match, 12-4.
- Junior Drew Mandell was third at 149 pounds. He recorded a fall in the first round and claimed a 10-5 decision in the quarterfinals before dropping a 19-14 decision in the semifinals. Mandell then pinned a teammate in the third-place match.
- Sophomore Trevor Piggott had a third-place performance in the 285-pound bracket. He won a 21-5 technical fall and 4-0 decision before losing a close 2-1 decision in the quarterfinals. Piggott rebounded to win the third-place match, 4-0.
- Freshman Channing Perry placed fourth at 149 pounds. He won a 4-3 decision and by pin before losing his last two matches.
- Freshman Hiram Robinson was fourth at 184 pounds with a 3-2 record. One of his wins was a 19-1 technical fall and a second win was a 15-5 major decision.
- Fifth-place finishes were by freshman Hunter Murphy at 149 pounds and junior Donny Mandell at 184 pounds.
- Juniors Andrew Castaneda and Clayton Higelmire sixth at 141 and 184 pounds, respectively.
- Olivet hosts the 2018 Comet Duals next Saturday, Nov. 17. Action gets under way at 11 a.m. The Comets will face Mount St. Joseph (Ohio) University, Cornell (Iowa) College, Manchester (Ind.) University and Millikin (Ill.) University in their four matches.