OLIVET, Mich. – Seniors Tyler Grimsley and Jacob Harvey led the Olivet College wrestling team to a 35-9 win over Trine (Ind.) University in its first Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) dual match since 1984 tonight at The Cutler Event Center in Olivet.
Final Score: Olivet 35, Trine 9
Location: The Cutler Event Center; Olivet, Mich.
Records: Olivet 10-3 overall, 1-0 MIAA; Trine 4-4 overall, 0-1 MIAA
- The Comets won 8-of-10 bouts.
- Olivet scored bonus points in six of the eight wins.
- At 125 pounds, sophomore Cameron Mahlich earned a forfeit win at 125 pounds.
- Freshman Reese Wallis overcame a 6-0 deficit to post a 7-6 come-from-behind victory at 133 pounds. The riding time point was the winning point in the bout.
- At 149 pounds, freshman Hunter Murphy posted a 13-5 major decision.
- Junior Cole Hersch was leading 16-4 before a final tilt resulted in a first-period pin (2:25) at 157 pounds.
- At 165 pounds, Grimsley used a four-point near-fall as the second-period clock expired for a 23-7 technical fall victory.
- Junior Haydn Kinjorski won 12-5 at 174 pounds.
- At 197 pounds, Harvey used a late takedown to record a 10-2 major decision.
- Sophomore Tyler Piggott also won a 10-2 major decision.
- Olivet moved up to No. 15 in the National Wrestling Coaches Association Top 25 poll.
- Tonight's match served as a benefit for the Out of the Darkness organization. The OC athletic department is donating $1 per fan in attendance toward the organization. All of the money raised will support implementing mental health programs on campus for all Olivet College students.
- The Comets travel to Mount Vernon, Iowa, on Saturday to compete at the Cornell College Mat Man Invitational.