ALMA, Mich. – Senior Tyler Grimsley's pin at 165 pounds was the difference in the match, as the Olivet College wrestling team edged Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) rival Alma College, 19-18, tonight at Art Smith Arena in Alma. With the win, the Comets clinch a share of the 2019 MIAA title and can win the outright title with a win at Adrian College on Jan. 31.
Final Score: Olivet 19, Alma 18
Location: Art Smith Arena; Alma, Mich.
Records: Olivet 11-3 overall, 2-0 MIAA; Alma 3-3 overall, 1-1 MIAA
- The Comets and Scots split the 10 bouts.
- Alma's wins were one by technical fall, one by major decision and three by minor decision.
- Olivet's wins were one by pin, one by major decision and three by minor decision.
- The Scots won the 125-pound match by a 6-4 score.
- At 133 pounds, freshman Reese Wallis used a takedown and two-point near-fall in the first period to post a 5-2 win.
- Alma surged ahead 12-3 with an 11-3 major decision at 141 pounds and 18-0 technical fall at 149 pounds.
- At 157 pounds, junior Cole Hersch won 5-1.
- At 165 pounds, Grimsley leveled the team score, 12-12, with a pin at 4:24.
- Junior Haydn Kinjorski captured a 14-3 major decision at 174 pounds to give the Comets their first lead in the match, 16-12.
- The Scots closed the gap to one point, 16-15, with an 11-9 decision at 184 pounds.
- At 197 pounds, senior Jacob Harvey scored a takedown in overtime to win 5-3.
- Alma won the 285-pound bout, 13-8.
- Olivet has a select group of reserves traveling back to Alma on Saturday for the Alma College Open. The varsity wrestlers are back in action next Friday and Saturday, Jan. 25-26, at the Pete Willson Invitational, hosted by Wheaton (Ill.) College.