ADRIAN, Mich. – The Olivet College wrestling team, ranked No. 15 in this week's National Wrestling Coaches Association poll, secured the 2019 Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) title with a 23-12 win over Adrian College tonight at the Merillat Center in Adrian.
Final Score: Olivet 23, Adrian 12
Location: Merillat Center; Adrian, Mich.
Records: Olivet 12-3 overall, 3-0 MIAA; Adrian 7-3 overall, 1-2 MIAA
- The Comets won six of 10 bouts, scoring bonus points in three of the wins.
- The Bulldogs earned minor decision victories in their four wins.
- At 133 pounds, freshman Reese Wallis scored an escape and takedown in the third period to pull away for an 8-3 decision.
- At 141 pounds, sophomore Andrew Castaneda received a penalty point late in the third period to tie the bout and send it to overtime. In overtime, he scored a takedown for the 7-5 win.
- At 157 pounds, junior Cole Hersch had a takedown and four-point near-fall in the first period, and never looked back in an 11-0 major decision win.
- At 165 pounds, senior Tyler Grimsley used a quick move to pin his opponent 14 seconds into the second period.
- At 174 pounds, junior Haydn Kinjorski tallied a 14-6 major decision victory.
- At 197 pounds, senior Jacob Harvey posted a 3-1 decision. The difference in the bout was a penalty point late in the bout and the riding time point.
- This season, 2019, was the first year the MIAA sponsored since 1984.
- The MIAA previously sponsored wrestling from 1969-1984.
- Olivet has now 11 MIAA wrestling titles in school history.
- Grimsley, Harvey, Hersch, Kinjorski and Wallis all finished with 3-0 records against MIAA opponents, and will be automatically added to the 2019 All-MIAA teams for their respective weight class.
- Four wrestlers are competing tomorrow at the Grand Valley State University Open. The entire team is back in action next Saturday, Feb. 9, at the Mid-States Invitational, hosted by Alma College.