Mar 08, 2019
ROANOKE, Va. – Olivet College junior Haydn Kinjorski and sophomore Trevor Piggott have been eliminated after day one of the 2019 NCAA Division III Wrestling Championships at the Berglund Center in Roanoke, Virginia.
- Wrestling at 174 pounds, Kinjorski fell to No. 6 seed Ben Sarasin from Chicago (Ill.), 7-4, in his first match.
- Kinjorski then had to wrestle a pigtail match of the consolation bracket against Brian Shermeyer from Messiah (Pa.). In that match, neither wrestler scored any points in the first period. Shermeyer picked bottom to start the second period and earned the escape point. That 1-0 lead held up until Kinjorski chose bottom to start the third period and got out to tie the match at 1-1. Later in the period, Kinjorski had two takedowns with Shermeyer escaping both times for a 5-3 win by Kinjorski.
- Kinjorski was eliminated from the tournament with an 11-6 loss to Mallik Settles from New England (Mass.) in a true consolation bracket match.
- In a pigtail match of the 285-pound bracket, Piggott beat Lucius Rinehart from Wis.-Platteville, 4-2. Rinehart went ahead 1-0 with an escape in the second period. After going down to start the third period, Piggott scored a reversal around the mid-point of the period to go up 2-1 before Rinehart got out 13 seconds later to even the score at 2-2. Piggott then took Rinehart down for the takedown with just 19 seconds left.
- In his second match, Piggott faced No. 2 seed Adarios Jones from Augustana (Ill.). Jones won the match, 20-8.
- Piggott bowed out of the tournament with a 5-3 loss to Brandon Ballard from York (Pa.).