OLIVET, Mich. – Junior Emma Essen recorded a hat trick to lead the Olivet College women's soccer team to a 7-2 win over Saint Mary's (Ind.) College this afternoon at the Cutler Athletic Complex in Olivet. With the win, the Comets move into a tie for second-place in the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) standings with a 6-3 record.
Final Score: Olivet 7, Saint Mary's 2
Location: Cutler Athletic Complex; Olivet, Mich.
Records: Saint Mary's 1-10 overall, 0-9 MIAA; Olivet 8-4-0 overall, 6-3-0 MIAA
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Comets scored all seven of their goals in the first half.
- Senior Rachael Durocher scored the first goal just two minutes and seconds into the game. Senior Isabelle Leon was credited with an assist on the goal.
- Leon then tallied a goal after receiving a pass from sophomore Maya Prewitt in the 10th minute.
- Essen scored the next three goals, with three different players – Leon, freshman Katie Rush and Durocher – each assisting on a goal.
- The final two goals were scored in a span of just over two minutes. Sophomore Abby Radcliffe registered the first goal on an assist from Leon. Freshman Grace White recorded the second for her first collegiate goal, while Durocher had her second assist in the game.
- In the second half, Olivet did not play the majority of its starting lineup, as 22 Comets played in the field during the game.
- Molly Murphy scored the Saint Mary's goals, and both came in the final five minutes of the game.
FOR THE COMETS
- Olivet recorded 32 total shots, placing 22 on-frame.
- Essen had a team-best six points on her three goals to go along with five shots.
- Leon registered five points on a goal and three assists. She also took a game-high six shots.
- Durocher finished with four points on a goal and two assists.
- Freshman Brooklyn Holley logged all 90 minutes in goal and turned aside two shots.
FOR THE BELLES
- In addition to her two goals, Murphy had three of the six Belle shots.
- Two keepers split time in net. Thallia Robles played the first 45 half, allowing the seven goals and making six saves. Hannah Fisher was in goal for the second half and collected eight saves.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The hat trick was the first in Essen's career at Olivet, and the six points is a single-game scoring high.
- Essen has now scored nine goals in her career against Saint Mary's.
- Durocher's four points is a single-game scoring high.
- Leon's three assists ties the single-game school record. Three other players have had three assists in game. The most recent was Jeanette Fisher against Alverno (Wis.) College on Aug. 29, 2014.
- Leon is now tied for third all-time in school history with 113 points and 46 goals, and tied for fifth all-time with 21 assists.
- Olivet plays its next four games on the road, beginning Saturday with a noon contest at Alma College.