GREENVILLE, Ill. – Senior Emma Essen netted a hat trick to lead the Olivet College women's soccer team to a 3-0 shutout victory over Greenville (Ill.) University in its season-opener this afternoon at Francis Field in Greenville, Illinois.
Final Score: Olivet 3, Greenville 0
Location: Francis Field; Greenville, Ill.
Records: Greenville 1-1 overall, Olivet 1-0 overall
- Essen scored her first goal in the 10th minute. The score remained 1-0 at halftime.
- Essen extended Olivet's lead to 2-0 just two minutes and 44 seconds into the second half. Sophomore Samantha Torres was credited with an assist on the goal.
- Six minutes and five seconds later, Essen completed the hat trick with her third goal. Torres earned her second assist of the game.
- Olivet finished the game with 10 total shots, including three each for Essen and Torres.
- Senior Kaitlin Irish recorded two shots.
- Sophomore Samantha Gifford played the first 84 minutes and 17 seconds in goal, and collected one save.
- Freshman Mekenzie Lamb finished the game in net.
- Three different players had one shot apiece.
- Marjory Coates allowed all three goals and made three saves.
- Today's game marked the debut for Doug Carter as the Comets' head coach.
- This game was the first-ever meeting against the Panthers in school history.
- The hat trick was second of Essen's career at Olivet. The other one was Oct. 14, 2017, at Saint Mary's (Ind.) College.
- The Comets have now won six straight season-opening contests.
- Olivet returns to the field next Wednesday, Sept 5, when it travels to play Manchester (Ind.) University. Game time is 4 p.m.