OLIVET, Mich. – The Olivet College women's soccer team had a 25-1 advantage in total shots, and defeated Defiance (Ohio) College, 6-0, this afternoon at the Cutler Athletic Complex in Olivet.
Final Score: Olivet 6, Defiance 0
Location: Cutler Athletic Complex; Olivet, Mich.
Records: Olivet 4-2-2 overall, Defiance 0-7 overall
- Senior Emma Essen got the Comets on the scoreboard with an unassisted goal in the seventh minute.
- In the 18th minute, sophomore Samantha Torres took a shot. The keeper stopped but did not control the ball. Essen pounced on the rebound and sent a shot into the net for her team-leading sixth goal of the season.
- Olivet added two more goals in a span of 100 seconds, with both players scoring their first goal of the season. Torres netted the first after receiving a pass from sophomore Chelsie Smith at the 22:56 mark. Junior Maya Prewitt then found the back of the goal and junior Sarah Feldpausch received credit for the assist.
- The Comets capped their first-half scoring splurge with a goal in the 40th minute. Senior Kaitlin Irish passed the ball to freshman Amelia Northern who scored the goal.
- Olivet ended the scoring with in the 69th minute. Playing up at the forward position and not her center-back spot, senior Ann Fetzer chipped the ball over the keeper and into the net for her first collegiate goal. Prewitt was given the assist on the assist.
- Of Olivet's 25 shots, 17 were placed on-frame.
- Overall, 21 Comets saw action in the game.
- Essen, Fetzer, sophomore Elle Chapin-O'Leary, senior McKenna Graham and junior Abby Radcliffe each had three shots.
- Sophomore Samantha Gifford and freshman Mekenzie Lamb combined for the shutout in goal. Gifford played the first 29 minutes and 49 seconds, and Lamb played the final 60 minutes and 11 seconds. Neither keeper had to make a save.
- Whitney Webb recorded the lone shot, which glanced off the cross bar in the 58th minute.
- Madi Bowman played all 90 minutes in goal and collected 11 saves.
- The Comets start Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association play next Wednesday, Sept. 26, against Adrian College. Game time at the Cutler Athletic Complex is 4 p.m.