OLIVET, Mich. – The Olivet College women's soccer team began Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) play with a 2-1 loss to Adrian College today at the Cutler Athletic Complex in Olivet.
Final Score: Adrian 2, Olivet 1
Location: Cutler Athletic Complex; Olivet, Mich.
Records: Olivet 4-3-2 overall, 0-1 MIAA; Adrian 4-4-1 overall, 1-0 MIAA
- The Bulldogs took a 1-0 lead in the 19th minute. Caroline Fleming gathered a loose ball in the ball, worked away around a defender and sent a shot into the net at the near post.
- The score stayed 1-0 at halftime.
- The Comets scored the equalizer in the third minute of the second half. Senior Emma Essen gathered a pass from junior Abby Radcliffe, and then rocketed the ball into the goal.
- Olivet had a chance to go ahead in 58th minute. An Adrian player was issued a yellow card for a foul in the box. The Comets missed the resulting penalty kick goal.
- The Bulldogs netted what proved to be the game-winning goal in the 72nd minute when Mya Oleksiak's shot sneaked its way into the goal just past a defender at the far post.
- One final shot in the closing minute of the game was saved by the Adrian goalkeeper.
- Olivet finished the game with nine total shots compared to 11 for Adrian. However, eight of the Comets' shots were on-goal compared to just four for the Bulldogs.
- Essen led the way with three shots.
- Radcliffe had two shots.
- Sophomore Samantha Gifford was the losing keeper. She played all 90 minutes and collected two saves.
- Fleming and Sabrina Weir each recorded four shots.
- Ayverie Giller earned the win in goal. She made seven saves in the complete game performance.
- The Comets are on the road Saturday to face defending MIAA champion Hope College. Game time at the Van Andel Soccer Complex in Holland is noon.