OLIVET, Mich. – Junior Abby Radcliffe scored in the fifth minute to help the Olivet College women's soccer team beat Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) rival Saint Mary's (Ind.) College, 1-0, this afternoon at the Cutler Athletic Complex in Olivet.
Final Score: Olivet 1, Saint Mary's 0
Location: Cutler Athletic Complex; Olivet, Mich.
Records: Olivet 5-4-2 overall, 1-2 MIAA; Saint Mary's 5-7 overall, 0-2 MIAA
- In the opening minute of the game, the Comets had a great chance to score when sophomore Grace White took a shot which was saved by the keeper.
- Around three minutes later, White ripped a shot which ricocheted off the far post. The ball bounced back towards the near post, where Radcliffe gathered the rebound and sent a shot into the side netting at the far post.
- The Belles looked for the equalizer in the 21st minute but sophomore Samantha Gifford stopped the shot.
- Olivet held the 1-0 lead at halftime, out-shooting Saint Mary's 16-2 in the opening 45 minutes of play.
- In the second half, neither team was able to generate any dangerous scoring opportunities. The Comets did have an 8-3 advantage in shots.
- Olivet took 24 shots compared to five for the Belles.
- Senior Emma Essen led the way with five shots.
- White, junior Maya Prewitt and sophomore Samantha Torres finished with three shots apiece.
- Gifford earned the shutout in goal, making two saves in 90 minutes of action.
- Rose Stackhouse tallied two of the five shots.
- Three others each recorded on shot.
- Thallia Robles was the losing keeper, as she collected 10 saves.
- The Comets travel to play Trine (Ind.) University Saturday night at 7 p.m.