ANGOLA, Ind. – Senior Emma Essen scored the golden goal in the fourth minute of overtime to lift the Olivet College women's soccer team past Trine (Ind.) University, 1-0, tonight under the lights at Fred Zollner Athletic Stadium in Angola, Indiana. With the win, the Comets improve their overall record to 6-4-2 and won their second straight Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) match.
Final Score: Olivet 1, Trine 0 (OT)
Location: Fred Zollner Athletic Stadium; Angola, Ind.
Records: Olivet 6-4-2 overall, 2-2 MIAA; Trine 3-9-1 overall, 0-3-1 MIAA
- The Comets had a 5-1 advantage in shots in the opening 45 minutes of play; however, they were only able to place one of the shots on-frame.
- Olivet kept the offensive pressure in the second half, recording eight more shots. The Thunder also had a couple good scoring chances but each time sophomore Samantha Gifford was able to make the save.
- In overtime, Trine had a shot sail wide right of the goal.
- Off the re-start, Essen took a shot that was saved by the keeper.
- Junior Abby Radcliffe served the ball into the box on a corner kick. Essen gathered the ball and worked her away around a couple defenders before sending a shot into the goal.
- Olivet finished the game with a 15-7 edge in total shots.
- Essen, junior Maya Prewitt and sophomore Samantha Torres each took three shots. All of Essen's shots were on-goal.
- Gifford picked-up her sixth win of the year in goal after collecting two saves.
- Courtney Reece and Marisa Robinett took two shots apiece.
- Three other players each had one shot.
- Ahdrin Bordner made five saves.
- The goal was Essen's eighth in 2018. It was also her fourth game-winning goal of the season.
- Essen now has 70 career points on 29 goals and 12 assists.
- Since the start of the 2004 season, the Comets have a 20-1-1 record against Trine. Overall, Olivet has a 20-5-2 all-time record against the Thunder.
- Combined with the 1-0 win over Saint Mary's (Ind.) College last Tuesday, the Comets have won back-to-back 1-0 games for only the second time in school history. The only other time was the first two games during the 2013 season.
- On Wednesday afternoon, Olivet welcomes Alma College to the Cutler Athletic Complex for a 4 p.m. game.