KALAMAZOO, Mich. – Senior Emma Essen scored in the 26th minute, and the Olivet College women's soccer team hung on to beat Kalamazoo College, 1-0, in a Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) game tonight at Mackenzie Field in Kalamazoo.
Final Score: Olivet 1, Kalamazoo 0
Location: Mackenzie Field; Kalamazoo, Mich.
Records: Olivet 8-5-2 overall, 4-3 MIAA; Kalamazoo 8-6-1 overall, 3-4 MIAA
- Sophomore Miranda Gale sent a pass from the right side of the field into the middle of the field and in the 18-yard box. Essen ran onto the ball and tabbed the ball over a charging goalkeeper. The ball bounced three times and into the back of the net.
- The score remained 1-0 at halftime.
- In the second half, the Hornets applied the offensive pressure, out-shooting the Comets 14-7. Sophomore Samantha Gifford kept Kalamazoo off the scoreboard with five saves, including a couple diving stops.
- Olivet had 11 shots in the game.
- Essen led the way with four shots, including three on-goal.
- Seven others had one shot apiece.
- Gifford picked-up the win in goal. She collected nine saves.
- Kalamazoo recorded 22 total shots.
- Sarah George had five shots.
- Rosella LoChirco was next with four shots.
- Hannah Wolfe played all 90 minutes in goal and notched five saves.
- Olivet is on the road for two non-conference games later this week. On Thursday, the Comets play at Carroll (Wis.) College at 5 p.m. ET, and on Saturday, they face Thomas More (Ky.) College at 2 p.m.