OLIVET, Mich. – The Olivet College volleyball team closed out the first half of its Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) schedule with a three-set loss to Kalamazoo College tonight at The Cutler Event Center in Olivet.
Final Score: Kalamazoo def. Olivet 25-16, 25-16, 25-17
Location: The Cutler Event Center; Olivet, Mich.
Records: Olivet 6-15 overall, 2-6 MIAA; Kalamazoo 4-12 overall, 1-7 MIAA
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Kalamazoo raced out to a 5-2 lead in the first set. Olivet went on a 5-1 run to go up 7-6. The Hornets scored eight straight points for a 14-7 advantage. The Comets answered with a 6-1 run to trim their deficit down to two points, 15-13. Olivet was not able to get any closer for the rest of the set.
- With the exception of three ties (1-1, 2-2 and 3-3), Kalamazoo led second set from start-to-finish.
- The Comets went ahead by a 6-4 score to begin the third set. The Hornets took advantage of five Olivet attack errors to put the next five points on the scoreboard. The Comets scored the next point before Kalamazoo went on a 6-0 run to go up 15-7. Olivet would get no closer than six points for the rest of the set.
FOR THE COMETS
- Olivet finished the match with 21 kills, including five each for sophomore Morgan Champion and freshman Laken Groll.
- Sophomore Madelyn Notenbaum dished out 14 set assists.
- Sophomore libero Gabrielle Mundt topped the back row with 17 digs.
FOR THE HORNETS
- Kalamazoo recorded 41 kills and a .192 attack percentage.
- Maria Katrantzi and Madi Goodman had 14 and 12 kills, respectively.
- Zoey Ammon collected 36 set assists.
- Taylor Ferguson registered 28 digs.
- Olivet stays home to face Calvin College Friday night at 6:30 p.m., and Hope College Saturday afternoon at 1 p.m.