ALBION, Mich. – The Olivet College volleyball team let a two sets to one lead slip away in a five-set loss to Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) rival Albion College inside Kresge Gymnasium in Albion.
Final Score: Albion def. Olivet 23-25, 25-19, 20-25, 25-17, 15-4
Location: Kresge Gymnasium; Albion, Mich.
Records: Olivet 6-18 overall, 2-9 MIAA; Albion 12-8 overall, 6-4 MIAA
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The first set saw Olivet open up a five-point lead, 7-2. The Comets stretched their lead to as many as eight points on four occasions, with the last time being 19-11. The Britons battled back to level the score at 23-23 before two kills by seniors Courtney Cronkright and Allison Turner ended the set in its favor, 25-23.
- Neither team led by more than two points in the second set until Albion gained a three-point cushion, 14-11. Olivet fought back to tie the set at 14-14. The Britons scored seven of the next nine points to put the set out of reach.
- With the exception of two tied scores, 1-1 and 2-2, the Comets never trailed in the third set. Olivet's largest lead in the set was seven points, 18-11. Albion got as close as three points, 23-20. Two kills by sophomore Morgan Champion brought the set to a close.
- In the fourth set, the Britons used a 4-0 run to turn a 4-2 deficit into a 5-4 lead. Albion did not trail for the remainder of the set.
- After a 3-3 deadlock in the fifth set, the Britons went on a 6-0 run to go up 9-3. The Comets scored the next point but Albion answered with another 6-0 run to win the deciding set by a 15-4 score.
FOR THE COMETS
- Turner slammed down a match-high 16 kills and posted a .300 attack percentage.
- Cronkright was next with 15 kills to go along with 20 digs.
- Sophomore Madelyn Notenbaum recorded 39 set assists.
- Sophomore Gabrielle Mundt shared match-best honors with 22 digs.
FOR THE BRITONS
- Kate Winter registered down a team-best 12 kills, while Taylor Rosenthal and Kelsey Gustafson had 11 and 10 kills, respectively.
- Grace VanDorn dished out 40 set assists.
- Monica Shuk had 22 digs.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Two career milestones were reached in the match. Cronkright surpassed the 600 kill plateau, while Notenbaum passed 1,000 set assists. Cronkright now has 601 career kills, while Notenbaum has 1,037 assists.
- Olivet is idle until next Tuesday, Oct. 17, when it plays a 6:30 p.m. match at Trine (Ind.) University.