KALAMAZOO, Mich. – The Olivet College volleyball team ended the 2017 season with a four-set loss against Kalamazoo College this morning at the Anderson Athletic Center in Kalamazoo.
Final Score: Kalamazoo def. Olivet 25-22, 21-25, 25-18, 25-21
Location: Anderson Athletic Center; Kalamazoo, Mich.
Records: Olivet 7-22 overall, 3-13 MIAA; Kalamazoo 7-18 overall, 4-12 MIAA
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In the first set, the Hornets turned a 5-2 deficit into a 12-5 lead with a 10-0 run. The Comets battled back to trim their deficit to a single point on four occasions before tying the set at 22-22. Kalamazoo scored the final three points of the set on a kill, Olivet attack error and service ace.
- The Hornets led in the second set until the Comets took their first lead at 14-13. There would be six tied scores, with the last one being 19-19. Olivet scored the next three points, one on a kill by senior Courtney Cronkright and two aces by freshman Laken Groll, to go up 22-19. Kalamazoo scored two points before three Comet points ended the set.
- Early in the third set, neither team led by more than two points. The Hornets took the largest lead for either team at 13-9. The Comets put four of the next points on the scoreboard to cut their deficit to a point, 14-13. Kalamazoo answered with a 4-0 run to go ahead 18-13. Olivet closed the gap to as few as two points, 19-17, before the Hornets ended the set on a 6-1 run.
- Play-by-play from the fourth set is not available.
FOR THE COMETS
- Sophomore Morgan Champion finished the match with 14 of Olivet's 46 kills.
- Cronkright added 12 kills and 22 digs.
- Sophomore Madelyn Notenbaum dished out 37 assists to go along with 22 digs.
- Sophomore Gabrielle Mundt collected a team-leading 23 digs.
FOR THE HORNETS
- Four players reached double figures in digs, led by Madi Goodman's 17.
- Rachel Girard was next with 16 kills, followed by Maria Katrantzi, 12; and Shelby Suseland, 11.
- Zoey Ammon registered 47 set assists.
- Taylor Ferguson notched a match-high 30 digs.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Cronkright finished her career with 115 service aces, which is first all-time at Olivet, while her 1,299 digs are second all-time and 648 kills are seventh all-time. She also matches the career record with 115 matches played and second with 411 sets played.
- Allison Turner ended her Comet career with 663 kills, which is sixth all-time. Her .118 attack percentage in 10th.