OLIVET, Mich. – The Olivet College volleyball team opened Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) play with a four-set win over Kalamazoo College this evening at The Cutler Event Center in Olivet.
Final Score: Olivet def. Kalamazoo 25-17, 25-22, 16-25, 27-25
Location: The Cutler Event Center; Olivet, Mich.
Records: Olivet 9-5 overall, 1-0 MIAA; Kalamazoo 2-10 overall, 0-1 MIAA
- In the first set, the Hornets built a 5-1 lead. The Comets then scored nine of the next 10 points to go ahead 10-6. Olivet did not trail for the rest of the set.
- In the second set, Kalamazoo led 10-6. The Comets went on a 5-0 run for an 11-10 lead. Both teams then had a 4-0 run, resulting in a 15-14 Olivet lead. After the Hornets took a 17-16 lead, Olivet went on another 4-0 scoring spurt to take the lead back, 20-17. The Comets did not give up the lead for the rest of the set.
- After a 10-10 tie in the third set, Kalamazoo scored six consecutive points and never looked back. The nine-point margin at the end of the set was the Hornets' largest lead.
- Kalamazoo appeared to take control of the fourth set, leading it by seven points 13-6. The Hornets maintained their lead until Olivet leveled the score at 21-21. The Comets had set point at 25-24 but a Kalamazoo kill evened the score. A Hornet attack error put Olivet ahead 26-25. Sophomore Laken Groll then blocked down a Kalamazoo attack for set and match point.
- Junior Brittney Prince led all players with 16 kills, with only error on 31 attempts for a .484 hitting percentage.
- Junior Morgan Champion finished with 11 kills.
- Groll notched five blocks, including three solo.
- Junior Madelyn Notenbaum dished out a match-high 25 set assists.
- Freshman Abigail Pray also had double digit set assists with 14.
- Junior libero Gabrielle Mundt recorded a team-high 16 digs, followed by freshman Drue Mullins with 12 digs.
- Madi Goodman posted a team-high 14 kills.
- Rachel Girard and Shelby Suseland each had 10 kills.
- Grace Kraft tallied a team-leading 23 set assists.
- Maddie Wojcik collected a match-leading 21 digs.
- Olivet continues MIAA play Friday night with a 6:30 p.m. match at Trine (Ind.) University.