ALBION, Mich. – The Olivet College volleyball team dropped a four-set match to Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) rival Albion College tonight at Kresge Gymnasium in Albion.
Final Score: Albion def. Olivet 25-22, 22-25, 11-25, 26-24
Location: Kresge Gymnasium; Albion, Michigan
Records: Olivet 11-5 overall, 1-2 MIAA; Albion 12-5 overall, 3-0 MIAA
- The Britons built a 10-point lead, 21-11, in the first set. The Comets fought back to close their deficit down to two points, 24-22, before an Albion kill ended the set.
- Olivet raced out to a 5-0 lead in the second set. Albion battled back to tie the set at 9-9. The teams traded points to create five more tied scores. After the last one at 14-14, the Comets went on a 3-0 run and force the Britons to call a timeout. Albion answered with a 4-1 run to even the score. Following one more tie at 19-19, Olivet put three straight points on the scoreboard to go up 22-19. The Comets did not relinquish the lead for the rest of the set.
- The Britons led the third set from start-to-finish.
- Albion took a 10-4 lead in the fourth set. Olivet came back with a 10-3 run to take its first lead, 14-13. Points were exchanged until the Britons surged ahead by two points on three occasions. After the final time at 24-22, the Comets were able to save two match points to force a 24-24 tie. Albion scored the final two points to win the set, 26-24, and the match, 3-1.
- Junior Laken Groll recorded 15 of the 45 Olivet kills.
- Junior Audrey Lama was next with eight kills, followed by senior Morgan Champion with seven.
- Senior Madelyn Notenbaum had a near triple-double with 28 set assists, 12 digs and seven kills.
- Senior Gabrielle Mundt paced all players with 27 digs.
- Kate Winter slammed down 17 of the 44 Albion kills.
- Kelsey Gustafson and Jesse Hepner finished with six kills apiece.
- Grace VanDorn handed out 23 assists.
- Gustafson also topped the defense with 17 digs.
- The Comets are off until next Tuesday, Oct. 8, when they host Saint Mary's (Ind.) College at 7 p.m.