OLIVET, Mich. – The Olivet College football team came up short against Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) rival Adrian College, 33-22, today at the Cutler Athletic Complex in Olivet.
Final score: Adrian 33, Olivet 22
Location: Cutler Athletic Complex; Olivet, Mich.
Records: Olivet 5-4 overall, 3-2 MIAA; Adrian 4-5 overall, 3-2 MIAA
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The start of the game was delayed three hours due to severe thunderstorms.
- The Bulldogs grabbed a 7-0 lead with 6:28 left in the opening quarter when Clayton Uecker completed a 73-yard touchdown pass to Jerron McGaw.
- Adrian added a 45-yard field goal by Cameron Cook to make the score 10-0.
- The Bulldogs took advantage of another Comet turnover to extend their lead to 16-0. McGaw caught a 15-yard touchdown pass from Uecker.
- The Comets got on the scoreboard on the last play of the second quarter when junior Lane Porter threw a three-yard touchdown pass to junior tight end Chris Talbott. Freshman Matthew Ellis ran the ball into the end zone for two two-point conversion to cut the Bulldog lead in half, 16-8, at halftime.
- Adrian put 10 points on the scoreboard in the third quarter. The first seven were on a 19-yard touchdown pass from Uecker to Emmanuel Stewart and the last three on a 38-yard field goal by Cook.
- The Bulldogs pushed their lead to 33-8 on a nine-yard touchdown run by Stewart early in the fourth quarter.
- Olivet used an eight-play drive, capped by an 11-yard touchdown run by senior Jerome Washington, to trim its deficit to 33-14.
- Junior Chase Cavric recovered a fumble on Adrian's ensuing possession. The Comets marched down the field and made the score 33-22. Porter threw a 19-yard touchdown pass to Talbott, and Washington scored the two-point conversion with 5:12 remaining in the game.
- The Olivet defense forced the Bulldogs to a three-and-out. The Comets drove down to the Adrian 37-yard line before turning the ball over on downs.
- Adrian got a first down and then used to kneel-downs to end the game.
FOR THE COMETS
- Olivet finished the game with 284 yards of offense, including a season-low 40 on the ground.
- Washington had 11 carries for 49 yards.
- Porter completed 26-of-42 passes for 244 yards.
- Senior Kornelius Saxton and junior Jacob Jodway each caught seven passes for 95 and 93 yards, respectively.
- Talbott had four receptions for 40 yards and two touchdowns.
- Defensively, senior Walter Love III recorded a game-high eight tackles.
- Senior Javon Walker registered seven solo stops.
FOR THE BULLDOGS
- Adrian totaled 414 yards, 167 on the ground and 247 through the air.
- Stewart had 23 rushes for 127 yards.
- Uecker was 12-of-20 for 247 yards and three touchdowns.
- McGaw caught 10 passes for 216 yards.
- Tim McPhee led the defense with seven tackles.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- With his 95 receiving yards, Saxton broke the single-season school record with 919 yards. His seven grabs help him match the single-season record of 64. Jodway now has 836 receiving yards, which is the third-most for a season.
- Porter has thrown for 2,312 yards in 2017, the third-most passing yards in a season.
- Olivet ends its regular season schedule Saturday, Nov. 11, with a 1 p.m. game at Trine (Ind.) University.