ADRIAN, Mich. – The Olivet College football team led 43-6 at halftime to beat Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) foe Adrian College, 50-22, today at Docking Stadium in Adrian. The 50 points scored is the third-most in school history against the Bulldogs.
Final score: Olivet 50, Adrian 22
Location: Docking Stadium; Adrian, Mich.
Records: Olivet 4-1 overall, 2-0 MIAA; Adrian 2-3 overall, 0-2 MIAA
- Sophomore John Adams III returned the opening kickoff 53 yards to the Adrian 37-yard line. The Comets got one first down before settling for a 24-yard field goal by junior Douglas Pollard to make the score 3-0 at the 12:54 mark.
- The Bulldogs turned the ball over on downs on their first possession, and Olivet took over at its own 40.
- On the fifth play of the ensuing drive, senior Nick Thomas hauled in an 11-yard touchdown pass from senior Lane Porter.
- The Comets forced Adrian to a three-and-out, and on the punt, sophomore Matthew Ellis blocked the kick.
- Olivet was able to stretch its lead to 13-0 on a 24-yard field goal by Pollard.
- Another three-and-out for the Bulldogs gave the ball back to the Comets.
- Senior Jamaul Martin capped a six-play drive with a three-yard touchdown run, and Olivet led 19-0 at the end of the first quarter.
- Adrian was forced to punt the ball one more time.
- Martin ended another Comet scoring drive with a six-yard run into the end zone.
- The Bulldogs dented the scoreboard for the first time on a 69-yard touchdown pass from Jack Wurzer to Clarence Madison.
- Olivet answered on its next possession when Pollard made a 40-yard field goal to make the score 29-6 with 8:29 left in the second quarter.
- The Comet defense forced back-to-back three-and-outs for Adrian. After each one, Olivet scored on its next drive. The first touchdown was a four-yard touchdown run for Ellis, and the second was a 29-yard touchdown pass from Porter to Ellis.
- The Comets led 43-6 at halftime. During the break, a thunderstorm rolled through the city of Adrian, causing a two-hour delay.
- The Bulldogs scored the only touchdown in the third quarter on a 34-yard pass from Wurzer to Emmanuel Stewart. The two-point conversion was good.
- Adrian added another touchdown and two-point PAT to cut its deficit down to 21 points, 43-22.
- Senior Trenton Monroe recovered an on-side kick for Olivet, and on the third play of a 46-yard drive, Ellis rumbled into the end zone from nine yards out. Pollard nailed the PAT kick to push the Comets' lead to 50-22.
- There was no more scoring in the game.
- Olivet totaled 476 yards, with 24 first downs (eight rushing, 12 passing and four penalty).
- For the third time this season, two running backs surpassed the 100-yard plateau.
- Ellis had 18 carries for 129 yards and two touchdowns. He also had the 29-yard touchdown reception.
- Martin rushed 22 times for 101 yards and two touchdowns.
- Porter completed 16-of-23 passes for 223 yards and two touchdowns.
- Senior Jacob Jodway caught five passes for a team-high 89 yards.
- Defensively, senior Chase Cavric tallied seven tackles.
- Senior Mo Young recorded six tackles, including two for negative yards.
- Adams III broke-up three passes.
- Adrian finished with 444 yards and 16 first downs (seven rushing, seven passing and two penalty).
- Stewart recorded 144 rushing yards on 20 attempts.
- Wurzer was 11-of-34 for 231 yards.
- Madison had six receptions for 120 yards.
- Lawrence Austin topped the defense with 12 tackles.
- Pollard's three field goals matches the school record for most in a game. Justin Hunwick also made three field goals against Defiance (Ohio) College on Sept. 6, 2003, and against Alma College on Oct. 2, 2004.
- The top two scoring games against Adrian is 68 points during the 1917 season and 53 points on Nov. 2, 1968.
- Olivet hosts Trine (Ind.) University next Saturday, Oct. 13. Kickoff from the Cutler Athletic Complex is 1 p.m.