OLIVET, Mich. – The Olivet College women's soccer team jumped out to a 3-0 and hung on to beat Adrian College, 3-2, this afternoon at the Cutler Athletic Complex in Olivet. With the win, the Comets are now in sole possession of second-place in the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) standings.
Final Score: Olivet 3, Adrian 2
Location: Cutler Athletic Complex; Olivet, Mich.
Records: Adrian 10-5-2 overall, 7-4-2 MIAA; Olivet 12-5 overall, 10-4 MIAA
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The duo of junior of Emma Essen and senior Isabelle Leon helped the Comets score two goals in a 19-second span. Essen netted the first goal off a pass from Leon. They reversed roles on the second goal, with Leon scoring off a feed from Essen.
- Olivet stretched its lead to 3-0 in the 26th minute when senior Rachael Durocher's corner kick sailed into the net at the far post.
- The Bulldogs got one goal back in the 36th minute to make the score 3-1 at halftime.
- Adrian closed the gap to one, 3-2, with a goal in the 60th minute.
- The Bulldogs had several strong chances to score the equalizer but the Comets kept them off the scoreboard.
FOR THE COMETS
- Olivet finished the game with 15 shots attempted.
- Leon led the way with five, placing all five on-gaol.
- Durocher, Essen and freshman Chelsie Smith each had three shots.
- Freshman Samantha Gifford won the game in goal, as she faced 19 shots (eight on-goal) and made six saves.
FOR THE BULLDOGS
- Caroline Fleming and Mackenzie Wilcox scored the goals.
- Fleming had six of the 19 shots.
- Ayverie Giller was the losing keeper.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- With 25 career assists, Leon is one shy of moving into a tie for first all-time.
- With their 12 wins, the Comets now have the fourth-most victories in school history for a season.
- Olivet is off until next Saturday, Oct. 28, when it hosts Kalamazoo College for Senior Day. The game is a part of a soccer doubleheader against the Hornets, as the Comet men play Kalamazoo at noon, with the women's game to follow at approximately 2:30 p.m.