OLIVET, Mich. – The Olivet College women's soccer team had its season come to an end with a 2-1 loss to Hope College today in 2017 Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) Tournament championship game at Van Andel Soccer Stadium in Holland.
Final Score: Hope 2, Olivet 1
Location: Van Andel Soccer Stadium; Holland, Mich.
Records: Hope 18-2-1 overall, Olivet 13-7-1 overall
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Senior Isabelle Leon put the Comets ahead 1-0 with a goal only 55 seconds into the game.
- The Flying Dutch scored the equalizer in the 26th minute.
- The score stayed 1-0 at halftime.
- Olivet had a great chance to take the lead back when freshman Chelsie Smith's shot hit off the crossbar.
- Hope netted what proved to be the winning goal in the 68th minute.
FOR THE COMETS
- Olivet had just five shots in the game, including two for senior Rachael Durocher.
- Freshman Samantha Gifford faced 24 shots in goal and collected 13 saves, while playing all 90 minutes.
FOR THE FLYING DUTCH
- Megan Bigelow and Rachael Braginton scored Hope's goals.
- Rylie Dalton tallied six of the Hope shots.
- Jordanne Ellingboe earned the win in goal.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Leon's finishes her career as the all-time leader in games started (77) and games played (77), tied for first in assists (26), and third in goals (52) and points (130).
- Olivet ends the season with 13 wins, which matches the 2010 team for the third-most victories in a season.